Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday News And Views

Honali. The tire, not the land where Puff lived.
Yesterday I received two Terrene Honali tires for test and review on RidingGravel.com. These are not really tires for gravel, specifically, but since they are aimed at the touring crowd, gravel would be on the menu for these. Especially in a "world touring" sense.

These are  a claimed 700c X 50mm tire and tubeless ready. I found both claims to be very true. They pumped up with some sealant with a rotten old floor pump on my WTB Frequency i23 rims easily. The width at 40 psi was 50.22mm right after mounting.

I put these tires on my Gen I Fargo because it is most like a touring bike and it does gravel very well. Plus it has the clearance for the tire! That's kind of important. The Honali also has a reflective sidewall and a nice, capable looking tread pattern. It will be interesting to see how it does on gravel and dirt. Terrene says that they designed the tire with dual sport motorcycle tread in mind, and the tire does give me that vibe. So, it will be fun to see how "dual sport" the Honali really is.

By the way, the Honali I have is the "Tough" casing model but there is an even burlier version available for those who abhor the thought of getting a flat, or who just are wanting a bombproof tire for some expeditionary concerns. I'll be mentioning this tire from time to time here but the real review will be happening on RidingGravel.com.


Haulin' the goods for T.I.v13

Trans Iowa T-shirt News: 

 My friend Sam is really getting back to his roots by having gone all by bike of late. That's right, he has eschewed his vehicles for bicycles and is doing all his errands by bicycles now.

Here is a pic of Sam's rig picking up the Trans Iowa v13 t-shirts with his "Bill" trailer from Surly Bikes. I love that Sam is back to this routine again and it warms my heart to know that these t-shirts started their journey being pulled on a trailer by a bicycle.

I have a trailer, but I don't often use it. I find that I like doing things by Big Dummy better. To each their own, but there is something about hauling stuff on a Big Dummy that I find more satisfying than I do by piling it all on a trailer. I suppose there are certain things you have to use a trailer for, and that is cool. I just don't really even think about my bicycle trailer much.

At any rate, the t-shirts are on their way to me. I have to meet up with Sam today and pick them up from him. I will be in Des Moines anyway to pick up Mrs. Guitar Ted from the airport after her trip to be with her family. So, it should all work out for the good.

Trans Iowa Radio:

Just a reminder that next week at this time we will be cranking up Trans Iowa Radio again on RidingGravel.com . The deal is that not only will you be able to hear about the goings on with Trans Iowa v13 from me, but also from the riders themselves. This is a great way to keep track of anyone you care about that is doing the event. They just have to avail themselves of this resource we are providing.

The way it works is that the riders will have a number to call. There will be a short message and a bit of a pregnant pause, then the rider can leave up to a two minute long message on whatever they want to talk about. Most give a brief update about how far along they are, the conditions, and a bit about how they are feeling.

It will be a fun way to keep track of the event and with the goings on lasting 34 hours, you could probably find new updates when you go to the bathroom at 3:30am Sunday morning. If you want to, that is!

Okay,that's all for this week. Have a good one and ride your bicycles!! 



12 comments:

Skidmark said...

What is the orange bike in the shop window behind the t-shirt delivery trailer?

Phillip Cowan said...

Looks like a Surly Straggler.

Skidmark said...

With "Europa" decal on downtube

Guitar Ted said...

@Skidmark- I asked Sam today. He said he's pretty sure it is a Soma Wolverine.

Skidmark said...

Dream tangerine,fatties fit fine, canti's- Cross Check

Phillip Cowan said...

Wolverine has sliding dropouts. This bike doesn't appear to. The dropouts look like the peculier ones on the straggler. The first three letters on the downtube look like S-U-R. Hard to tell. Did Surly ever make the Straggler in orange?

Phillip Cowan said...

Oops! Nevermind. Bike has cantilever brakes.

Guitar Ted said...

You know, you two could call Beaverdale Bikes and just end this now. Or not........ Your call. ;>)

Phillip Cowan said...

I think skidmark nailed it , no need to call. Actually I found a picture online of the tangerine cross check after my last comment but was afraid to say anything else cuz I'm already about three kliks past PITA status here. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good mystery.

Skidmark said...

Cheers GT, Phillip

Guitar Ted said...

@phillip Cowan, Skidmark- Cheers to you! Tonight's libation is a selection from the Oskar Blue's Brewery, Old Chub. I hope you both enjoy your evening and weekend.

Phillip Cowan said...

Right back atcha fellas.