Friday, March 11, 2016

Friday News And Views

I liked it so much I bought one.
Back From The Dead:

I reviewed this little tail light a while back and told you all how I had it fall off a bag and how it subsequently was smashed to bits on a highway. I said I liked it so much I'd actually buy another one.

So, here it is, just as I promised.

I don't know if I adequately stated how bright the Grateful Red tail light is. I had to use my older, battery operated Bontrager Flare tail light to get by in the time between when I lost the Grateful Red and when I got it replaced. The Flare was very sub-standard in comparison. It was so much less bright and "penetrating" in its intensity that I almost didn't use it since it looked so inadequate.

In contrast the Grateful Red is like the USB rechargeable lights in its sharpness and intensity of light. It really works far better than anything I used to own and use. Again, I know many of you are all about USB stuff, but I could easily buy two Grateful Reds for the price of one of the usual suspects when it comes to USB rechargeable tail lights that are this intense. Plus, the Grateful Red has a longer run time than many of the more expensive lights.

While Planet Bike sent over the first example at no charge, I felt like this light was good enough, and reasonably priced, that I just went ahead and bought the replacement. I'm really glad that I did too.

The Fargo Brothers.
The Original Adventure By Bike Bicycle: 

The Salsa Cycles Fargo is an icon of the Salsa line up. The steel, drop bar specific 29"er has the distinction of having a long run in the Salsa Cycles line up. Only the El Mariachi has been around longer. With newer models coming and going all these years, the Fargo may seem like it is almost an antique. However; if my two riding friends I spent some time with on Wednesday are any indication, the popularity of the Fargo is only growing more every year.

Both of them were giving their Bomb Pop Blue Fargos some heady praise. I was listening in and nodding, agreeing out loud at a few points. The Fargo is an amazing bicycle. Perhaps it is the quintessential gravel/bike packing/touring machine of the gravel world. Perhaps it is nothing more than a capable chameleon that adapts to its owner's vision for whatever task they have in mind and does so easily. I cannot say which, but I do know that it is closer to the time that the Fargo will change again, or go away completely, than it ever has been. Models like Salsa's Warbird and Cutthroat point to a higher tech, carbonated future, and the steel Fargo maybe doesn't fit into that molded future vision for the brand's line.

If it is allowed to stay, and the Deadwood may be a model that points to that possibility, then we may see 27.5" wheels, the plus versions, most likely, be attached to a bike with the Fargo name. It would make a lot of sense. B+ wheels, with true, 3" sized tires, would roll rough terrain easily, and the Boost fork and rear end standard would make a lot of sense here as well. Then you could build up a set of lighter, nimbler 29"er wheels to take over when speed and quickness were desired over cush and flotation. I imagine a top of the line, B+ wheeled titanium Fargo. That would be a really sweet machine!

Errand machine
Big Dummy Dreams:

Yeah..... Long time readers will remember several times where I have mentioned wanting a Surly Big Dummy. It is funny, because just the other day a friend of mine quipped that he couldn't believe that I didn't already own one. Then I get home and Surly has a blog post about how to haul stuff with your Big Dummy.

It's a sign, right?

Maybe I'll finally make it happen. I should, you know. I ain't gettin any younger. If I do, my vision would be for a wide rimmed, Extraterrestrial tired, Brooks sprung saddled cargo monster with my Ergon pedals and the bags I already have on my XtraCycle moved over to the newer rig. That would be a dream Big Dummy buld.

Trouble is, it would make two other bikes I have obsolete and then what? Well, the 1X1 could move on to another shop employee's hands, because that's the deal with that bike, and the other rig? Well, it's an 80's mtb, so probably......I don't know, donate it to a poor soul? Probably. I just know I wouldn't need those two bikes if I got a Big Dummy.

Okay, that's a wrap for this week. Have a great weekend and get out and ride!

3 comments:

Smithhammer said...

The Warbird and the Cutthroat, while fantastic bikes, don't replace what the Fargo offers, in my opinion. They are much more specific niche bikes, while the Fargo is the 'anti-niche' bike if ever there was one. The Deadwood I test rode was an eye-opener on rocky singletrack, however, and I agree that this is where I'd love to see the evolution happen. I may not want 3" tires all time on my Fargo, but having the option, with Boost spacing, would take what is already a highly adaptable machine to the next level. I see no reason for the Fargo/Deadwood to go away - I hope Salsa doesn't either!

Exhausted_Auk said...

Get a Big Dummy! :-)

Regarding the Fargo, it would make a lot of sense to me if the Vaya were to disappear, with the Warbird and Marrakesh now in the lineup to cover all-road racing and touring. The Fargo could then revert back to its non-suspension-corrected origins to give more room in the triangle for a frame bag. With capability for 29er and B+ wheelsets, you would have a true dedicated off-road adventure machine. Of course, you could always just get a Velo Orange Piolet!

youcancallmeAl said...

with 2.25" tires and a 70 mm bracket drop, thats a pretty high bottom bracket!