Saturday, February 27, 2010

Trans Iowa V6: Thoughts Part XV

The Renegade Sportsman: Drunken Runners, Bike Polo Superstars, Roller Derby Rebels, Killer Birds and Other Uncommon Thrills on the Wild Frontier of Sports by Zach Dundas.

Back about a month ago, I posted about the book that was coming out that included a bit about Trans Iowa V3 written by Zach Dundas, the fellow that tagged along to research the event that year. Well, here's what the book cover will look like. You can pre-order this from Amazon.com now.

(I have no dog in this race, so I do not benefit from the sales of this tome. I just thought T.I. vets and curiousity seekers might want to take a look.)

Tales Of Gravel Glory: Salsa Cycles sponsored racer, Tim Ek, has an excellent first installment to a recap of his Trans Iowa V5 experience posted on Salsa Cycle's website. I highly recommend the peice as it is very well written. Tim gives you an excellent account of what it took for him to be in the four up break that eventually catapulted him to a second place tie with Dave Pramann, just behind winner Joe Meiser in an amazing 25 hours for 320 plus miles of gravel road grinding. Tim will be back again this time looking for a repeat performance over the hills and dales of Iowa's countryside.

Are You Ready? Well, from the time of this posting there are approximately 55 days left before I honk the horn on the Truck With No Name and lead out Trans Iowa V6. There will be a lot of road work going on with you folks out there, I am sure, but also with d.p. and I. Roads need to be checked. Alternate lines need to be explored. Exact directions and mileages need to be dialed in. We'll all be busy!

During this time I ask that if things are not looking good for you to show up at Trans Iowa in April, that you let me know as soon as you can. I need to have numbers dialed for cue sheets and for our Pre-Race Meat-Up at the Grinnell Steakhouse. You can assure that we will not be going to extra expense and work if you are going to back out by just sending me a simple e-mail.

Sponsor's Corner: This week I wanted to highlight a special Trans Iowa sponsor. This company sponsored the very first edition of Trans Iowa. They introduced co-founder Jeff Kerkove to the product he would eventually end up representing today- namely Ergon. I just confirmed with Jeff what the products would be that Ergon would sponsor us with, and I think the lucky recipients will be pleased.

I always chuckle when I see how far and wide the Ergon grip has penetrated into the cycling scene. When Jeff and I stuffed those first race bags in 2005, nobody had heard of these wacky, paddle shaped grips with the exorbitant price of $35.00 each. "Who in the world would ever buy these things?", is something we heard a lot of back then.  Yup! Pretty funny when I think about that. I can't help but feel Trans Iowa kind of helped get that big green Ergon "ball" a rolling back then.

Please take the time to check out the Ergon grips and their excellent back packs. And if you see Jeff roaming around the nation as he does, tell him hello from me, and thank him for Trans Iowa too!

Till next week...................

No comments: