Thursday, May 22, 2008

So, What Are You Gonna Do?

Wow! I read the headlines today and saw the price of a barrel of oil. Nuts! I'm sure gas prices are going to be well above $4.00 a gallon for most of the summer. So, that begs a question: "What are you going to do?"

As a cyclist, I know I'm going to keep on pedaling. Going to work on a bike- no brainer! Now though, I think there will be even more trips by bicycle. Little errands, maybe even doing some shopping by bicycle. I'll definitely be using my bikes more and more. I can't afford to dump that kind of money into my car all the time. It's obscene, and I want to do something about it.

Then there are other considerations. Things like riding to the Camp trails for mountain biking. Yeah, it's 12 miles each way, but if I have the time, I'm going to ride, or choose a trail right here in town.

What about racing? I mean, event fees are pretty tough already, but if you add on travel expenses, well it gets to a point where you can hardly afford to go. I am going to the Dirty Kanza 200 in a week and that gas bill will be pretty steep. I will be taking stock after that as to what it costs to do things like that for sure. Then again, how can you just stay at home all summer? Tough decisions!

Added to that I just got my utilities bill. Holy cow! This winter is going to really suck at this rate! Anyway.......... Not to be a downer, but this is getting crazy and I don't see any signs of change around here yet. People are still flying down the road in huge SUV's and driving like mad men. I'm quite sure prices won't go down as long as the majority shows it isn't going to affect their buying habits. I just know that it affects me, and I'm going to ride more and drive even less than I already do.

To me, it's the only thing that makes sense concerning oil prices. See ya out there on my bike!

No comments: