Monday, October 22, 2007

More SE Racing Stout and Some News



I have gotten a ride or two in on the SE Racing Stout 29"er single speed so far that I'm testing for Twenty Nine Inches. I think I'll reserve comment until I can get a nice longer off road ride or two in on it. This weekend was a washout, literally, from a rain standpoint. The trails around here were just too muddy or underwater.

Here are some pictures to tide you over.








Integrated headsets are not on my list of cool off road component ideas, but seem to hold up well none the less. I still say why make something that could roach your frame if it goes bad. Not a necessary development in my mind. Looks cool though, I'll grant you that.










Another seat post that's too short. This picture was taken with the post at max extension. I tried riding it, but no go! I took it out and realized it was only a 300mm post! When are we going to get it through to companies that we need to spec 400mm posts. You can always chop it down to whatever length you want. Just like a handle bar. Seems reasonable to me. On a positive note, the Velo manufactured saddle feels comfy......so far!






Clearance is okay. I think some of those Racing Ralph tires by Schwalbe or a WTB Weir Wolf LT might be too tight a fit with the wheel all the way up in the drop outs. I'll have to experiment with that.










A smart move to have the geared option here. The 9 speed compatible free hub makes it a lot easier. The simple spacer kit also gives this a clean look as a single speed but limits your choices in cogs to stamped steel ones. A wider based cog, like a Surly cog, would not work without changing to a different spacer kit too. The chain tensioner on one side is smart. It's all you need. People with balance/symmetry issues need not apply!


More on the Se Racing Stout later, stay tuned!

Trans Iowa Tune Up Ride: The latest scuttlebutt is that the course has suffered water inundation at several points but that the river is retreating quickly. If we can avoid any real soaking rains between now and Saturday, we'll be okay. We're still going with the original route. Keep in touch here, or at the Trans Iowa site for any last minute changes on that. Otherwise the weather for this weekend looks to be clear and pretty cool.

Some New Linkage! I'm very excited to announce the addition of another new blog link here to none other than endurance freak/pioneer ultra endurance crazy/29"er nutcase/ and gear guru Mike Curiak. Mike promises some straight shooting talk on gear, racing, and whatever hits his radar. Plus, there are some killer photos that Mike has taken already up on the site. Check it out for yourself, you won't be disappointed. I've got Mike's new blog linked on my right hand side bar for future reference. Also, I have linked Mike's business, Lacemine 29. Mike has literally built over four thousand 29"er wheels and counting, so he probably knows a thing or two about what might work for you. Check him out for your next project.

I like Mike, I've met him a couple of times, and I'm a fan of his straight shooting style. His wealth of knowledge and experience in long distance mountain biking is huge. He also takes a mean photograph and writes an easily read story. That's my take and that's why I'm excited about his blog.

Okay, that's it for your Monday. Ride if you can! It's all about riding your bike, no matter what it is.

No comments: